Sunday, June 23, 2013

Field trip and a little first hand experiance of culture differences.

Okay so I have something interesting to talk about later in the post, but let's first talk about the field trip. So we went to a traffic school with the kids in where they were taught how to cross the street. This trip lasted for about an hour and a half and was super boring. I felt bad for the kids. After sitting and listening to a powerpoint for an hour about raising your hand to cross the street, where to cross and why it was important. They then went to a little small street area and practiced crossing the street like 15 times. I felt so bad for them. Anyways I have some pictures.













They hated it to say the least. Poor kids! Other then that we practiced hospital play. They are so tired of it and so am I, but we have our open class on Wednesday so I hope they do well so my boss can stop freaking out.

Anyways on to my interesting story. Now I had dinner with one of my Korean friends on Friday. We usually go out to eat dinner and then to a coffee shop to have pat-bing-su (red bean sundae). While we were at the coffee shop we talked about all kinds of things and one questions she always and I mean always asks me is if I have a boyfriend yet. Now in Korea my age is 27 and that is old for Korean standards. At this age I should have a boyfriend and I should be thinking about marriage. Anyways, while we were talking about this and what set my friend off on a rant about this was when I told her that I want to have kids, and even if I am not married at age 30, (and can afford it) I want to adopt a child. This freaked her out, because that is not heard of in Korea what so ever and not so much in America either, but it is much more acceptable in the States.  At this point she went into this long lecture about how her and I are old and that I need to get a boyfriend and get married soon. Now trust me I have known about this mentality in Korea way before this, but when I told her I doubted that I would get married since I have never had a boyfriend or anyone interested in me except a creeper, she was shocked. So along with telling me that I need a boyfriend she wanted me to join groups and activities in Korea. I told her I don't speak Korean well enough to do things like that and she told me to meet a foreigner. Now in my head I was laughing because the odds of me finding someone from Colorado here that would like me are very slim. I mean come on! She also told me not to date a Korean. So in my head I was laughing because all her suggestions don't help me find a guy. She did tell me I should dress up more, wear make up and lose more weight. Which okay I should maybe, but I do wear make up much more here then I ever did in the States. I also dress nicer here too, but not nice enough, because well I am fat. There is no denying that. Now this conversation did make me feel a little awkward, because I didn't know what to tell her because she doesn't really understand American culture and it isn't always easy to explain to someone. Now I know she has very good intentions and means well and it made me feel good that she cares. I mean she even told me she will pray for me to find a boyfriend. This is serious business here. Dating is no joke in Korea. haha I think she picked up on my awkwardness though, because I just kept nodding my head after awhile. Anyways, it is the first time in my time here that I really felt any culture shock. I think apart of it is just my awkwardness when it comes to boys and dating or anything of the sort in regards to me, just because I don't know much about it. Anyways it was interesting to say the least. lol

Anyways that is all I have. I am going to go to bed soon since I have a lot of things to do this week. Wish me and my kids luck for open class. Oh man I hope it goes well! Have a good week everyone! Besos!

No comments:

Post a Comment