Sunday, April 7, 2013

Views on North Korea... and week update

Okay so I want to address North Korea and all the threats that South Korea and the United States are getting. But first I will tell you about my week. Not much happened this week. Just been busy getting ready for airport day and Einstein went to the dream park. I have a few pictures to share from that. Also Aiden messaged me and talked to me on the phone. It was just what I needed since I was really missing him on Thursday and he messaged me that night. I am going home in 6 weeks and I am excited to see my friends and family and mainly my sister graduate. I haven't decided if I will be updating my blog while I visit home, but we will see. Also saw Haris today and we ate pizza as usual. haha I also ran into Emma my old Korean Teacher for Emily and Aiden. It was nice to see her and she seems well. :)










Okay now I have been getting a lot of questions about North Korea from friends and family back home. It is understandable that I am hearing these thing, but I though I would give my view on the whole situation. This is something that the other foreign teachers and I have talked about a lot recently. They are also getting a lot of people asking them if they are okay and what is going on. Well know that this is just my opinion and that I live in an area close to the North and two US military bases within the city limits. (Just so you know they are Camp Red Cloud and Camp Jackson). This is based on what I have seen and heard. What I have discussed and read about. Now I have heard about all the treats and how scary the North Korean leader is being, but from what I have seen people here aren't worried. These countries have been at war since the 50s and these treats happen every few years. Now I am not saying I am not worried at all. I am a little. It is a little scary, but I am not freaked out like many people are sounding in the States. People here do what they have to do everyday and don't focus on it. The factory that is by the board is still running. Which the North will have to shut down if they are going to attack to be honest. Their biggest allies, China, has told them to back down and that they will not support them. They have a new leader that is trying to establish himself which is cause for worry, but not a panic. He doesn't have much to work with. A third of their population is starving. South Korea has a new president which they are trying to test. It honestly feels like a game. The other teachers and I have asked our Korean teachers if we should be worried and they said "no, not yet." I have talked to US military people and they said not to worry. Whatever the North tries to start won't get far if at all start. They have no backing and other Asian countries are telling them to stop. They don't have much money either and only have short range anything. I feel like they are testing the water and trying to establish themselves to intimidate the South. From what I have seen it isn't working. So my personal feelings on it is this, yes I a concerned about it and I will keep updated on it, but I am not going to panic about it. The security level is the same here and I feel safe where I am located. I know people may think that it is silly for me not to worry about it, but if you live in fear of what might happen then you will never really live. That is not why I came here. I came to do something new with my life, not hide from it. So this is how I feel right now on the issue at hand. I am not saying it won't change if things change here. I feel like more people back home are panicked than people here. Koreans maybe are used to it because they have lived with this war for so long. I don't know the reason, but for now I will just keep an eye on things. It is all I can do.

Okay I am done with that. I hope it makes sense and doesn't offend anyone. Again it is just from what I have seen and my personal thoughts. I am no expert so it may be completely wrong. haha Well have a good week everyone! Besos!

No comments:

Post a Comment