Sunday, January 6, 2013

New Years and 1 year anniversary

Well this week was my vacation and I relaxed and slept a lot. I am also getting over this cough thing I have had for a couple of weeks now. I even lost my voice. It was an interesting week. I started packing for home. I have a lot of figure out what I want to send home and what I want to pack in my suitcases. Honestly I didn't do much this past week.

For New Years I celebrated by myself by watching a Korean music program. Their new years program started at 9 and ended around 2 with only one break. Man I feel bad for the performers. That is a long time to hang around.  Anyways my favorite performance of the night was by my favorite boy and girl group. I will link the video below. It is in English too! It was a really cool program. One of the teachers and her boyfriend went out for New Years. He ended up wondering away drunk so she got locked out of their place. She came to my place and stayed with me. Poor thing was super cold because it was snowing and she didn't wear many layers.


On Jan. 2nd I decided to have dinner and do what I did the year before. Well I didn't go to Seoul Tower but I have been many times so it isn't fun anymore. Anyways my first dinner here was at a Korean BBQ place so I invited the other teachers that were around. We ate their and went to Norebang (karaoke). That is what I did on my first night here in Korea. I had a wonderful time and so did everyone else.
Tomorrow I have work again. I am excited to see my kids again. I have missed them a lot. Other then that this week was nice to have off. I am leaving in 2 months. I will be here for my kids graduation and I will leave probably the first week of March. After being here a year, going home is going to be hard. I have learned so much about myself living here. I also enjoy the culture here. I've learned a new language and I made many friends that I would have never met in the States. Leaving will be very hard for me especially saying goodbye to Davinci. I will be leaving them behind. Edison and Einstein are graduating and going to Elementary school so they are leaving, but Davinci has another year. Not being able to see them through is hard. I had the chance to see them through, but I have other things I need to go home for that are more important. The main one being my little sister is graduating in May from high school and nothing will keep me from that. One thing is for sure I am not the person I was when I left Colorado and to be honest I never will be. I keep getting asked if I am happy to go home and to be honest I am not. Don't get me wrong I miss everyone and I will be happy to see everyone, but I am going to miss Korea a lot. I didn't experience culture shock when I came here, but I will go through reverse culture shock going home. I will have to get use to everything again including food.  Actually the thought of going home doesn't make me sad either. I feel very numb about the whole thing. Also don't be surprised if Korean comes out of my mouth. I speak a lot of Korean and sometimes it comes out over English. I fear I might speak with a mixture of English, Spanish and Korean back home. No one is going to understand me. haha Anyways, I am going to enjoy the last 2 months I have. I know it is going to fly by and I definitely don't regret coming here. It is one of the biggest risks I have ever taken in my life and it was well worth it.

Well I am off to finish some work, but everyone have a good week! Besos!

No comments:

Post a Comment