Friday, February 10, 2012

Life in Korea

 Okay so last blog I talked about mostly what I have been up to here.  I think in this blog I'll talk more about interesting or funny things I have encountered.  Hmm... so first of all there is not a separate shower stalls in the bathrooms.  It is connected to the sink so you take a show in the sink.  Also there is no pipes from the sink to the drain in the floor so water goes everywhere and therefore you have to use shower shoes.  Speaking of bathrooms they don't put toilet paper down the toilet they put it in a trash can (I don't I find it too weird).  So toilet paper here is scented.  Oh so in Korea you walk everywhere!!! The public transportation is wonderful here.  It is also pretty cheap.  The subway is like 90 cents one way, bus is the same and a taxi is like $2.  It is very affordable to use.  Otherwise you walk.  Most people don't drive but there is a lot of cars in Korea.  Speaking of cars, so back home cars yield to pedestrians but in Korea pedestrians yield to cars.  Often times cars will run red lights and not pay attention.  It is annoying at first but you get used to it after awhile.  I sometimes to walk at night by myself but honestly it is very safe.  There is always a lot of people around.  Umm...oh it is very common for people to walk up to me or any of the other foreign teachers and try to talk in English and ask us where we are from.  I've also been asked to take a picture with them.  In fact I even made friends with two store owners from Japan and they took a picture and put it up in the store.  They were very cute!  Umm... let's see when you go to Lotte Mart (which is like Wal-mart) you have to buy bags if you want to use them.  Since people walk everywhere often you will see like small carts to carry things home with.  They use T-money cards which you put money on and swipe when you take the subway or bus.  It is very handy.  You don't need to carry exact change with you.  Oh when you go eat you don't have a waiter always coming to your table instead there is a bell you ring on the end of the table so you can get whatever you need.  Speaking of eating out you do not tip here and usually people don't go dutch.  Culturally it would be the oldest who would pay or whoever invited everyone.  I eat out much more then I cook.  That is very common here.  It is kinda interesting but it is also why many places aren't expensive to eat at.  Hmm... well honestly this is all I can think of for now.  So speaking of food it is time to got eat.  Which means I'm going to go to the Kimbap shop next door for Pacombap (I'm sure I spelled that wrong) anyways it is delicious. It is a rice ball filled with tuna mixed with mayo and on the outside it is covered in seaweed.  If you have any questions or want to know anything feel free to ask.  Besos!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Im so glad you are writing a blog about your time WAYY over there! It is so interesting to read of all the new and dif adventures! Love you cuz! -Selena

    ReplyDelete